256 MILITARY HISTORY OF CANADA
350 men each. The regulars consisted of 350 men of the 60th Rifles, with 20 men of the Royal Artillery and four seven-pounder guns, 20 men of the Royal Engineers, and a party from the Hospital Corps and Army Service Corps. Difficulty was experienced, as in all Canadian expeditions, in organizing the commissariat, and it was accentuated in this case by the fact that the Expeditionary Force had to be transported through a trackless wilderness. Finally, however, all arrangements were completed, and Wolseley got his force in motion from Toronto in May, 1870.
At Collingwood two steamers had been provided, the Algoma and Chicora, and by means of these the troops, stores, wagons, horses, etc., were carried to Sault Ste. Marie. The United States authorities refused per-mission to take the troops, or even the stores, through their canal. Urgent representations were made to Washington, and finally orders were issued to allow the stores to go through. The Algoma passed up into Lake Superior, and was used to transport the expedition to the upper end of the lake, where a camping ground had been selected, which Wolseley named Prince Arthur's Landing,l in honour of the Queen's third son, the future Duke of Connaught, then in Canada.
The commander of the expedition had had serious trouble in getting men and supplies thus far, but they were nothing to what was in store. Before him lay many miles of exceedingly difficult country, steep hills and swampy valleys, rock-strewn rivers, tangled forests, and treacherous muskeg. Through this he had to transport an expedition numbering altogether over 1,400 men, including voyageurs and guides, with boats and all the necessary supplies. The transport of food alone for such a number was a most serious problem, as a sufficient supply for the entire trip had to be carried, the country affording nothing whatever in the way of provisions.
1 .Now Port Arthur.