Nvent to California. He re-turned to London in 1851, and, in partnership Nvith his brother Oliver, started the present establishment under the firm name of J. &- O. McClary, which was carried on until 1571, when a joint stock company was formed under the name of the McClary Manufacturing Co. (Ltd.). The business has, as is well known, reached gigantic proportions, and their stores, fur-races and tin supplies are handled by the trade in every town alld cite in the Dominion, ~N-hile they also do their share of foreign trade. Mr. McClary in religion is a member of the Methodist Church, and is a trustee of «"ellington Street Church, London. He has always been a Reformer in politics, but is a strong supporterof the National Policy and a thorough advocate for developing the natural re-sources of the country. He is a magistrate, director of
the L. and P. Ry., rice-president of the
Ontario Loan and Debenture Co., vice-
president of the London Life Assurance
Co., and is president and chief stock-
holder in the Manufacturing Company
,vhich bears his name. He is a shrewd
business n1an, and the success of the
company is due largely to his ability.
Mr. McClary has been twice married
first, in 1553, to Mary Ann, daughter of
Phcenih Drake, and again, in 1866, to
Miss Pavey. He has two daughters
by his first wife—llrs. Gunn and Mrs.
Gartshore—both of whose husbands
are engaged in the business with Air.