WITHIN REACH OF THE ST. LAWRENCE 69
paid a heavy price for his loyalty to the Crown. At the beginning of the Revolutionary War his fine estate was plundered and he was forced to save his life by flight to New York, where until the close of the war he was active in the British interests, fighting both by land and sea.
In 1776, he was ordered to take up arms against the British Government, but he refused.
At the close of the war, he visited England, where business kept him until 1786. In that year he sailed for Canada, having been enrol-led as a military pensioner with the rank of captain and granted forty pounds a year. In 1787, he started out in search of a location, and in a birch canoe with an Indian guide journeyed westward until the Gananoque river was reached. The spot attracted him. He decided to apply for a grant of the land on both sides of the river and had the land surveyed. But, when he sent in his application, he found he had a rival in no less a person than Sir John Johnson, who was industriously acquiring grants for speculative purposes. However, the difficulty was over-come by assigning the land on the eastern side of the river to Johnson and that on the west—700 acres in all—to Stone.
In the summer of 1791, Captain Stone took possession of his grant, landing at a point just west of the present railway station. The only white person in the vicinity was a Frenchman named Care, who, with a few Indians, was living on Tidd's Island (Tremont Park). Stone got in touch with Care who came to the main-land and built a shanty on the point at the end of what is known as Water Street. Here he