26 NOVA SCOTIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
at Stormont, on the east side of Country Harbor, shows thirteen Negro servants, the " property " of four officers of that corps. A few officers of the King's Carolina Rangers, in the list Captain Joseph Marshall, father of the late Judge John G. Marshall, had at that date seven slaves. At Guysborough, where were several officers of the ,. Department of the Army and Navy," eight slaves were catalogued by name as the property of five owners. And on the muster roll of the transport "Argo," at Halifax in July, t;84, on her way with Loyalists from St. Augustine. Florida, for Guvsborough—then Chedabucto, are the names of „ Prince, Susanna, Anne. Jane, Carry, Marsh, the property of John Todd " ; and of " Liberty” Sarah, Pegg, the property of James Lyle." Several documents in relation to the last three, registered in Guysboro' county in 1793 by David Martin, show that James Lyle had in the previous February paid seventy pounds sterling for them in St. Augustine, and that the man had been previously a slave in Georgia, the woman and child slaves in East Florida.
A very large section of the bondmen being brought into Nova Scotia was carried into that part of the country which a few months later—in the autumn of 1;84—was set off as the province of New Brunswick. It is improbable that any slaves were taken to the county of Northumberland : from 'Westmoreland county no large number of slaves was ever reported, though colored bondmen and bondwomen were bought and sold there at a later date than in some other sections of the Lower Provinces ; the few to be found in Charlotte county seem to have been taken there from other parts of New Brunswick.
In the last-named county was the colony at Beaver Harbor, of Quaker Loyalists—the only avowed anti-slaversettlement known to have existed in the British North American Provinces. These Quakers, most of whom had